Anyone who’s read the ClipDish blog knows that Team ClipDish are huge fans of Chef Kenji. The other night, I was watching his Youtube channel and came across his most recent recipe, an authentic chili recipe you can put together in 30 minutes.
The YouTube description wasn’t quite the same as the video so I adapted the recipe from the video and am presenting it here.
I made this last night and my family loved it. I use a dutch oven but you can use a large pot if you have it.
Kenji’s Weeknight Chili
This recipe comes together in less than 30 minutes. It’s a great meal for the weeknight.
2 to 3 pounds 80/20 ground beef
6 cloves of garlic
3 tbs chili powder to taste
1 tbs whole cumin
1 tbs oregano
2 tsp garlic powder
2 cans of Ro-tell diced tomatoes with green chilis
2 tbs tomato paste
16oz chicken stock
16 oz can of kidney beans
2 bay leaves
2 tbs Fish sauce
Tortilla chips / Fritos
Shredded taco cheese
- Heat oil in Dutch Oven
- Brown ground beef. Make sure you leave it alone long enough to get brown. He makes it like a giant hamburger.
- Dice onion, put it aside
- Mince the garlic, put it in with the onion.
- Combine cumin, oregano, chili powder, garlic powder using a mortar and pestle
- Break up the ground beef
- Add garlic and onion to the beef, stir to combine
- Add spice mix
- Add tomato paste
- Stir to let the spices bloom for about thirty seconds
- Add cans of tomatoes
- Rinse the cans with chicken stock and add to the pot.
- Drain beans
- Add beans to chili
- Stir to combine everything
- Add more chicken stock if you think there isn’t enough liquid
- Add bay leaves
- Add a bit of fish sauce
- Let simmer for 30 minutes, longer if you have time and want to develop deeper flavors.
- Serve with grated cheese, cilantro, sour cream, tortilla chips, avocado.
- You can substitute ground turkey or your favorite brand of plant based ground beef.
So go ahead and save this recipe to ClipDish and let us know how it turns out on our Facebook group.
Oh and if you want another great Chef Kenji recipe, check out Crispy Oven Fried Wings from the OG Creator Kenji